Jun 28, 2013, 10:56 AM
The Sports Journalists Association of The Gambia will go to the polls today to vote for their favourite candidates that are contesting for various awards in seven out of ten different categories with the exception of the journalists group, which will be determined by the panel of veteran journalists, Pointsport can confirm.
The ballot voting for the 2010 annual Sports Journalists Awards designed to honour outstanding sportsmen and women for their tremendous contribution to sports development in the country in the past 12 months, has since two weeks ago begun in a form of text message voting.
The procedure however gives the general public the golden opportunity to vote for their choice of candidate by texting on the Africell number 7401 to cast in their votes including the journalists group.
The journalists’ voting, which will be done in a form of secret ballot, will take place at The Point newspaper’s office premises today starting from 9am to 7pm.
The general public’s votes will hold 40 per cent while the remaining 60 per cent of the votes would be done by the Sports Journalists Association to complete the percentage of the required votes.
All voting processes close on Friday 1 July 2011 with the big and highly anticipated awards to follow on 2 July at the Jerma Beach Hotel in Kololi.
The Sports Journalists Association of The Gambia is once again extending appreciation to its partners for their understanding in partnering with them in this worthy course.
The association would like to use this opportunity to urge other partners to come forward to support this year’s Sports Award expected to be graced by prominent international sports icons such as Senegalese superstars El-hajie Joof and Henry Camara who have both confirmed their participation to grace the occasion for the first time in the association’s history.