#Article (Archive)

Kombo North chief testifies in Yankuba’s trial

May 4, 2020, 12:29 PM | Article By: Dawda Faye

Muhammad L.K. Bojang, Kombo North chief, testified on the 30th April, 2020, before Justice Ebrima Jaiteh of the High Court in Banjul in the murder case involving Yankuba Touray.  He told the court that he lives at Sukuta and he has been the chief of Kombo North since 2017. He said that he was also the Commander CID, Gambia Police Force.

He testified that he knew Koro Ceesay, adding that the latter was former minister of Finance. He noted that he recognised the accused, stating that he was a senior army officer. He revealed that he used to see the accused at Tobacco Road and that he (accused) was then minister of Local Government. He narrated that Koro Ceesay is dead.

He informed the court that he received a call from the police that Koro was involved in a fatal car accident along Sukuta-Jamburr Highway. He noted that he went with his driver and two other police officers to the scene of the accident.

He added that on his arrival, he found that the body was moved to RVTH, stating that then Ebrima Njie, Mechanical Superintendent at Bakau New Town, inspected the vehicle at PWD. He told the court that Mechanical Superintendent of Police, Ebou Njie, and Chief Fire Officer, Mr. Rex King, also inspected the vehicle.

“I called my Scientific Support Photographer, the late Alieu Njie, and told him that what my opinion gave me was different from what I heard because the vehicle did not knock any object and it did not somersault. If the vehicle was running at a high speed, there would be wheel marks,” he testified.

He stated that he saw the registration number of the vehicle which was GG 1322 A when he was coming from Jamburr, noting that the vehicle was used by Koro Ceesay. He informed the court that on arrival at the CID headquarters, he placed the number plate and waited for an order from F.R.I. Jammeh, the former IGP.

He said that the case was not investigated. “The case occurred in Western Division. If they opened a file, they would send it to the IGP by the OC of West Coast Region. I did not see any file which was opened in relation to Koro’s death,” he stated.

Under cross-examination by Counsel Sissoho, he was asked whether he knows Habibu Mbaye and he answered in the positive. He said Habibu was his junior in the service. He was also asked whether Habibu played any role in the investigation but replied that there was no investigation. Asked whether there was any coroner inquest, he said that there might have been. He was asked whether he had ever attended a coroner inquest, and he answered in the negative.

“A coroner inquest was set up and proceedings were conducted and findings of facts were made,” Counsel Sissoho put it to him. He replied that it was not to his knowledge. It was put to him that the police officers including the photographer testified during the trial of the inquest. He said it was not to his knowledge.

“I put it to you that the judicial outcome of the death of Koro Ceesay was as a result of an accident,” Counsel Sissoho challenged him.

“That is not to my knowledge,” he replied.

At this juncture, A.M. Yusuf, the state counsel, applied for the case to be adjourned to the 12th May, 2020, to call the 8th witness but Counsel Sissoho objected and said that the court should take multiple dates. A series of  arguments followed between the state counsel and Sissoho, who said that he did not know why the state counsel did not want to take multiple dates. He then informed the court that he was withdrawing his representation for Yankuba Touray.

The presiding judge then asked him to file a notice of withdrawal.