#Article (Archive)

Head Mistress Testifies in Oley Sey Case

Sep 8, 2008, 6:57 AM | Article By: By Modou Sanyang

Ms. Anne Marie Joe Gassama, Head Mistress of Abuko Lower Basic School was the latest prosecution witness to testify in the trial of Oley Sey and Abdou Rahman Bah.

The duo was in court for allegedly stealing the sum of D500, 000, being the money of SulaymanJunkungJammehNursery School in Abuko. They have denied the charges.

Testifying, Ms Anne Marie Joe Kassama told the court that the 2nd accused, Abdou Rahman Bah, has been working under him as the co-ordinator of She adduced that on the 29th July 2008 they were at the office of the Secretary of State for Basic and Secondary Education for the handing over of D500,

000 donated to SulaymanJunkungJammehNursery School by President Jammeh for the completion of the said nursery school.

Further testifying, Pw3 told the court that at the presentation ceremony the money was handed over to the 2nd accused Abdou Rahman Bah. He added that at the end of the presentation, the two accused persons left together saying that they are going to the State House to thank Alhagie Ceesay, Protocol Officer to the president.

She said before they left the Region I Directorate of Schools told the 2nd accused that being the co-ordinator of the nursery school he should be the first signatory to the account, followed by the headmistress and the principal signatory should be the Abuko Alkalo.

She told the court that the KMC Mayor also told them that they (the signatories) should open the account the same day and take the bank book to his office.

She testified further that on the 4th August 2008, they called at the SOS for Basic and Secondary Education office including the accused persons concerning the D500, 000. She added that there the accused persons were asked about the money given to them on the 29th July 2008. She said it was then the 2nd accused, Abdou Rahman Bah, said he went with D100, 000 and the D400, 000 was with the 1st accused, Oley Sey.

 She explained that they were there without reaching any conclusion. She added that later an officer came in to witness part of the discussions after which four of them were taken to the NIA for interrogation and their statements were obtained from them.

The case was adjourned to 12th September 2008.