Apr 13, 2015, 10:00 AM
Mustapha Drammeh, football programme officer of SESDO, said the tournament will be strictly for U-17 players who have not played in any zone during this year’s nawetan.
He said they are expecting all 32 teams taking part in the nawetan to register their junior teams, adding that teams that do not register their junior teams for the youth tournament will not be allowed to participate in next year’s nawetan competition.
He noted that teams have been informed to come forward for registration about three weeks ago, but so far it was only six teams that have turned up.
Registration is pegged at D500, he said, adding that if they have twelve registered teams they will kick-start the tournament as they do not want to promise people and fail to go ahead with the tournament.
Drammeh remarked that the tournament is meant to give an opportunity to junior players of teams taking part in the nawetan, adding that they intend to stage the competition yearly.
They hope to secure a sponsor for the tournament as they are working on it, he also said, adding that there would be cash prizes at the end of the competition.
Meanwhile, Manchester United on Sunday beat Jola Kunda FC by a goal to nil to secure a place in the quarterfinal stage of the ongoing Serrekunda East Sports Development Organisation (SESDO) knockout competition.
Sam Jarju netted the only goal of the game for Manchester United in the 40th minute of the encounter played at the Serrekunda East Mini Stadium at 5pm.
Earlier on the same day, Milan FC beat Rangers FC 4-3 on penalty shootout to also seal their place in the quarterfinal stage of the competition following a goalless draw on regulation time.
Cannon FC have also advanced to the quarterfinal stage of the competition thanks to a 6-5 penalty shootout win over Milan Rossoneri FC after drawing 1-1 on normal play time.