#Article (Archive)

Latrikunda United share plunder with Jambanjelly United in GFF triangular qualifiers

Feb 17, 2014, 9:33 AM | Article By: Lamin Darboe

Latrikunda United on Friday shared spoils with Jambanjelly United in the 2014 Gambia Football Federation (GFF) 3rd Division triangular qualifiers game played at the Serrekunda East Mini Stadium.

Saikoba Cessay gave Jambanjelly the lead in 13th minute of the first half but Ebrima Mendy converted from the spot kick to level the scoring for Latrikunda United in the 75th minute of the game when Abdou Camara brought down substitute Papis Sanyang inside the area to cancel out Saikouba Ceesay’s first-half strike to share the loot.

Malick Gassama of Latrikunda United, speaking to reporters after the game, described the outcome of the game as fair but said they should have won but due to an error, they conceded a goal in the first period of the game.

His side was in a hurry to equalise, he added, saying that gave them a problem but during the break they talked to the players to be patient and as such they finally grabbed the equaliser late in the game.

With his team being relegated to the third division last season, Gassama is confident that his team can regain their place in the second division league.

Lamin Conteh, assistant coach of Jambanjelly, said “football is a game you cannot predict sometimes”, describing it as funny.

They did not think the game will end up in a draw, he noted, saying they had chances to win the game.

They equalised with their only chance, he remarked, adding that his side would have won provided they had capitalised on the numerous opportunities they created.

He stated that most of his players are young and lack maturity in the game but said they would work harder on scoring.

The team is short of players coupled with the long distance they travelled to play the game, he said, concluding that the club do not have funds or sponsors; it is only the support of the community.

Elsewhere, the match between Lamin United and Lions of Banjul was postponed at the Serrekunda West Mini Stadium on Friday.