#Article (Archive)

More testimonies in former NDEA officers trial

Oct 19, 2011, 1:28 PM | Article By: Malamin Conteh

The murder trial involving two former officers of the National Drug Enforcement Agency (NDEA) namely, Ebou Lowe and Eku Grant, yesterday resumed at the Special Criminal Court in Banjul before Justice Emmanuel Nkea with the testimony of the eleventh prosecution witness.

Eku Grant and Ebou Lowe were charged with murder, when they allegedly beat one Cherno Alieu Suwareh, alias ‘Che Boy’, leading to his death, after he was suspected of possessing cannabis.

Testifying as the eleventh prosecution witness (PW11), Yerro Saidy, a police officer attached to the Major Crime Unit at Police headquarters in Banjul, told the court that he could recognize the accused persons.

He added that on 5 May 2011, they received a directive to investigate the death of Alieu Suwareh.

Officer Saidy adduced that during the investigation, he was assigned to obtain a cautionary statement from the 2nd accused person, Eku Grant, and in doing so, he invited an independent witness called Ebrima Jallow.

The witness told the court that he read the cautionary wording to the accused, which he said he understood and signed it and the independent witness also signed, adding that he (the witness) also signed the statement.

Saidy said the accused person wrote his own statement, adding that Eku Grant after the parade requested to give another statement, and the same independent witness was again called.

He revealed that the accused was arrested on 5 May 2011, and a statement was recorded from him on the same day.

Next to testify was the twelfth prosecution witness, one Muhammed Sowe, also a police officer attached to the Major Crime Unit, who informed the court that he participated in the investigation, and obtained a cautionary statement from the 1st accused person, Ebou Lowe, witnessed by Ebrima Jallow.

Under cross-examination, the witness told the court that he did not know when Ebou Lowe was arrested, and where he was taken after his arrest.

Hearing continues today.