#Article (Archive)

Man Arraigned for Injuring Younger Brother with a Cutlass

Mar 18, 2009, 6:17 AM | Article By: Dawda Faye

One Lamin Darboe was yesterday 17th March arraigned before Senior Magistrate Abdoulie Mbake of the Kanifing Magistrates' Court for allegedly injuring his younger brother with a cutlass. He accepted a two-count charge preferred against him.

Count one states that the accused on the 7th March, 2009 at Kanifing South unlawfully assaulted Ousman Darboe, his younger brother, by striking him with a cutlass on his right hand thereby causing him actual bodily harm.

According to the statement of offence in count two, the accused on the 8th March, 2009 at Kanifing was found in possession of a cutlass and a sharp iron without any lawful authority.

Following the accused's plea of guilty, Prosecutor 319 Jobe narrated the facts of the case. He told the court that the incident happened on the 17th March 2009 at Kanifing South when the accused had a quarrel with his younger brother, Ousman Darboe, which resulted in a fight. He narrated that they were later separated but the accused was not satisfied.

He stated that the accused further went and collected his cutlass and a sharp iron and attacked his younger brother who sustained injury on his right hand. He noted that the accused's younger brother was later rushed to the Kanifing Police station from where he was taken to the Serrekunda Health Centre, and was treated and admitted.

He went on to say that when the police arrived at the scene, they found out that the accused was at large. He said the accused went to Pipeline the next day to see two Uncle Sam's Security guards who were on duty and told them to do him a favour to spend the night there.

He further noted that the security guards did not agree and the accused threatened to kill one of them, adding that this compelled them to search the bag of the accused and they found the cutlass and an iron. He stated that the accused was arrested and taken to some police officers at GRTS who later took him to Kairaba Police station where he was cautioned and charged.