#Article (Archive)

Inferno in Wuli Barrow Kunda

Dec 8, 2008, 5:48 AM | Article By: Abdou Rahman Sallah in URR

Reports' reaching the point has revealed that the house of the father of Mr. Nfamara Jawneh a journalist working with The Point was gutted by fire during the early hours of Friday morning.

The incident, which happened at his residence in Wuli Barrow Kunda in the Upper River Region, is said to have completely destroyed the house, clothes and other valuables.

According to sources, the fire was caused by a candle and has destroyed at least one bedroom and two stores. When contacted, the owner of the house, Foday Jawneh, said he went to the mosque for Fajr (early morning) prayers and upon his return to the house, he saw fire and a crowd of people shouting while trying to put the fire out. The man said, "I accept it in good faith as the decision of God and I wish to thank the villagers for coming to our rescue quickly. This paid dividends as otherwise the fire would have transferred to other houses in the compound, which could have been more catastrophic," he said.

At the time of the incident a seven-year-old boy was sleeping in the house but was rescued safely.

Though there was no causality but Eyewitnesses who spoke to this reporter said that extent of the disaster was very serious and sorrowful.

Reacting to the incident, Mr. Nfamara described it as a natural disaster.

Meanwhile, individuals, relief organisations and philanthropists wishing to render any form of assistance to the victim can contact the son Mr. Nfamara Jawneh at The Point Newspaper on 9868882 or 7317988 or via email jawfamra@yahoo.com