#Article (Archive)

Former General Manager Sues Sun beach Hotel

Dec 17, 2008, 5:24 AM | Article By: Dawda Faye

Max Dayou, former general Manager of Sun beach Hotel, on the 11thDecember, 2008, sued the hotel for wrongful termination of his service at the Industrial Tribunal at Kanifing. The case was presided over by Senior Magistrate Sainabou Wadda Ceesay, who was assisted by two panelists.

In his testimony, Max Dayou, the plaintiff, told the court that he lived at Kotu and that he was appointed General Manager by Sun beach Hotel.

He testified that he is a French national and has been in the country for ten years. He adduced that after he was given an appointment letter, the hotel few months later thanked him for his good job.

He stated that he was on probation and after the end of the probation; the hotel gave him a letter confirming his appointment. He went on to say that he continued to work after the confirmation and was offered by the Managing Director of the hotel to work in Mauritania.

He further indicated that the company employed one Alieu Faal as the financial and administration manager, whom he was supervising.

He revealed that one day Mr. Faal made an allegation against him. He said that he was just helping the chief engineer to order equipment from abroad. He stated that when the chief engineer received a copy of the minutes of the meeting at which Mr. Faal was present, he [the chief engineer] insulted him on the phone and he subsequently wrote a resignation letter but was advised not to send the letter.

He further adduced that when he received a termination letter, he decided to give the MD a letter requesting a meeting. He indicated that he was never called for a meeting prior to his termination by the Managing Director.

He is claiming D110, 000 for unlawful termination of his service, D75, 000 in payment in lieu of notice, D25, 000 for one month holiday pay owed by the hotel and D50, 000 for inconvenience, stress and discomfort.

Amie Joof-Conteh represented the Plaintiff while Lawyer Bensuda represented the defendant.

The case was adjourned to the 8thJanuary, 2009, for cross-examination by the defence counsel.