#Article (Archive)

Family assault case continues

Jul 19, 2010, 12:55 PM | Article By: Yusuf Ceesay

The trail involving Banora Jarju, Gunjur Jarju, Mama Jarju and Foday Jarju recently continued before Magistrate Secka of the Kanifing Magistrates' Court, with the testimony of the third accused person.

In her evidence-in-chief, the third accused person (DW3) Mama Jarju told the court that she lives in Old Jeswang. She said that the 1st and the 2nd accused are her parents, while the 4th accused is her brother.

She revealed that she knows the complainant, Sally Senghore, whom she said, lives in the same compound with her.

DW3 adduced that her father and the complainant's husband (Kebba Drammeh) shared the same mother, but there is no cordial relationship between the two brothers and their families.

She stated that she could remember in September 2008 in the Holy month of Ramadan when her younger brother Momodou Lamin Jarju, went out with his bicycle and upon his return, he found out that the complainant had spread her mat on a footway.

According to her, her brother passed by the complainant's side and the complainant alleged that he rode his bicycle over her. She further adduced that she also intervened and told the complainant that his brother only passed by her side but did not ride his bicycle over her.

Further testifying, DW3 adduced that the complainant then rose and started insulting her, and followed her up to her mother's house.

Further narrating, she told the court that her mother got hold of the complainant to prevent her from entering into the house. "The complainant attacked my mother and they began to fight," she stated.

She maintained that she called her father the (2nd accused) on the phone about the incident.

According to her, when her father arrived at the scene, he warned her mother (1st accused), but did not take any part in the incident. She further posited that the 4th accused was not present when the incident happened.

She finally denied that she assaulted the complainant and caused her actual bodily harm.

The case was adjourned to 21st July 2010.