#Article (Archive)

Ex-State House employee case continues

Apr 16, 2013, 9:35 AM | Article By: Malamin L.M. Conteh

The economic crime case involving one Modou Suwa, a former staff of the Office of the President, continued recently at the Special Criminal Court in Banjul before Justice Emmanuel Nkea.

Continuing his defence testimony, the accused person told the court that it was the PS, Dawda Fadera, at the PMO, who asked him to write the extension of the study leave.

“Following the writing of the letter, I got the reply in January 2007, but the PMO refused to approve my letter, and by then I was in the middle of my program at Manchester University,” Suwa told the court.

He then contacted the Manchester University Student Centre, where it was confirmed that he was a full-time student, he said.

“In the first letter I wrote, I indicated that they should stop my salary, which was done immediately. My letter also indicated the extension of my study leave without payment,” the accused told the Special Criminal Court in his defence.

The payment was not at the expense of the Gambia government, he said, adding that this program had enhanced his ability.

He among other things outlined some of the activities which he could do single-handedly.

“I graduated at Manchester University at my own expense. I have some of my certificates,” he added.

“Upon my return, I went to the PMO, where I was advised to write to the PS, PMO and copied to the Secretary General, which I did, but after three weeks, there was no response. I then went to the PS, PMO,” he further told the court.

“There, I was asked to write to the SG, and copied to the PS, Fadera, which I also did, but later I understood that the SG wrote to the PS, seeking for advice, and they advised SG that I should be taken to court,” he stated.

One day, he went on, he was sitting at home and some people came and effected arrest on him, and he was taken to the remand wing of the prison and detained for almost two months.

Initially, the bond was for one year, and he served the government for one year, “but the bond did not indicate when to start and when to end,” he said.

The case continues on 18 April 2013.