#Article (Archive)

Double Murder Case Trial Opens

Jun 8, 2009, 7:05 AM | Article By: Modou Sanyang

The double murder trial involving one Amadou Jarra recently commenced before the special court, presided over by Justice Moses Richard.

The accused Amadou Jarra was alleged to have murdered two women: Nyimansata Ceesay and Kinty Fatty on 2 March 2009, at Badibou Kerewan in the North Bank Region.

Testifying before the court, the first prosecution witness Ansuman Fatajo told the court that before the incident, the accused was in their compound. He informed the court that on 2nd March 2009, he was in his room when he heard screaming, and as he went to find out what was wrong, he saw two women who were stabbed lying down on the ground near the door. He revealed that the women were in a pool of blood, adding that the two deceased were later taken to the police station and then to the health centre by the police.

Also testifying, the prosecution's second witness, Mustapha Jawara, told the court that on 2nd March 2009, he was in their compound when he heard screaming, only to be told that a Bambara had stabbed two women.

According to him, he went to the police station and found out that the police were in the process of arresting the accused person. He said he had seen the accused throwing a knife when he picked it up and handed it to the police. He adduced that he observed there was blood on the knife. And then stated that after giving it to the police he immediately left for home. The knife was shown to him in court and he recognised it.

In his testimony, the third prosecution witness, Sulayman Sonko, a police officer attached to Kerewan Police Station informed the court that he came to know the accused on 2nd  March 2009. He added that while on duty at the police station he heard people shouting, "be careful he is having a knife". Sonko said he later saw the accused running towards the police station holding a knife as the crowd was running after him.

According to officer Sonko, as the accused fell down the knife also dropped. He adduced that the crowd that was running after the accused were armed with sticks and machetes, as according to them, the accused had stabbed two women to death.

Officer Sonko further adduced that the bloodstained knife was brought to the station by Mustapha Jawara. He revealed that Kinty Fatty was stabbed in the stomach, while Nyimansata Ceesay was stabbed on her side. He said the victims were taken to Kerewan Health Centre and later referred to Farafenni.

He added that a case file was opened and statements were obtained to that effect.

According to him, immediately they received the information that the victims had passed away they transferred the accused to Banjul on the fear that villagers may attack the police station.

Hearing continues.