#Article (Archive)

Commit FC sail to semis in Gunjur Nawetaan

Oct 27, 2010, 6:20 PM | Article By: Lamin Darboe & Cherno Omar Bobb

Commit FC are through to the semi-final of the 2010-11 Gunjur Nawetaan League following their hard-fought 1-0 win over last year's league runners-up Nyokoyorr FC in their quarterfinal clash on Sunday at the Gunjur playground.

Both sides put up spectacular performance in the first half of the game and launched series of assaults in front of each other’s goal mouth but failed to produce a goal in the first period.

Upon resumption of the second period, Commit FC controlled and dominated ball possession and caused series of assaults in front of Nyokoyorr FC and their efforts paid dividends in the 49th minute of the game when striker Omar Bojang netted their lone goal from a spectacular strike.

Nyokoyorr FC fought back for an equaliser and created numerous goal-scoring opportunities in front of Commit FC’s goal mouth but messed up all their limited goal-scoring chances.

QCell FC have also progressed to the semi-final after hammering in-form Passamai FC 4-0 in the other quarterfinal game played on Saturday.

QCell FC will now meet World Eleven FC in the semi-final, while Commit FC will clash with last year’s league champions Oxford United FC in the other semi-final.

The date of the semi-final will be published in our next sports edition.

Elsewhere, at the Serrekunda West Mini Stadium, on 24 October 2010, Bundas FC defeated Pencha Bi FC by 2-0 in their re-play game to qualify for the quarterfinals of the Serrekunda West Sports Organisation Nawetaan.

Skipper Abubacarr Sambou and Ebrima Mendy scored Bundas FC’s goals in the 38th and 52nd minutes of the game to earn their side the maximum three points and a place in the quarterfinals of the competition.

Pencha Bi FC were reduced to ten men in the 78th minute of the game when striker Bamba Sillah was sent off after he was shown a yellow card for the second bookable offence.

It would be recalled that the game was first played on16 October 2010 at the Serrekunda West Mini Stadium in which Bundas FC won by 2-1 but the encounter was called off before normal time due to darkness.