#Article (Archive)

An Eye Witness Testifies In Banjul Murder Case

Sep 17, 2009, 3:19 AM | Article By: Modou Sanyang

The prosecution sixth witness, one Momodou Musa Jallow, told the Special Criminal Court before Justice Moses Richards that he saw the accused Dawda Bah stabbing the deceased Cherno Jagne, alias Chey-Boy with a bottle.
According to him, on 2nd August 2008, he was at Rankin Street in Banjul when he was told that his brother (now deceased) was about to fight.
He testified that upon receiving the tip, he rushed to the scene when he saw the accused stabbing the deceased, with a bottle on his neck. He informed the court that he also saw one Lamin Ceesay going towards the accused after the incident.
According to him, he heard the deceased, saying "Yanka you have stabbed me," while holding his neck.
Testifying further, the sixth prosecution adduced that he shouted for help, but nobody came to his aid. Jallow testified that, he then lifted the deceased and try to rush him to the hospital only to later die in his hand.
According to him, at the hospital the doctor pronounced the deceased death. He added that the accused Dawda Bah was nowhere to be seen after the incident. He said he later made a statement to that effect.
Also testifying, the seventh prosecution witness, Dodou Sanneh, told the court that he is Police Officer attached at the Major Crime Unit of the Police Headquarter.
According to him, 0n 2nd August 2008, he was at Police Line when he received a call from the Officer Commanding Major Crime Unit, to report to the office.
He said when he reported to the office, he was briefed about the case and asked to join other officers to locate the accused Dawda Bah.
According to him, they first went to the scene where he saw a poll of blood stained on the ground.
Further testifying, the seventh prosecution witness told the court that a search was conducted on the accused Dawda Bah within Banjul, but was nowhere to be seen until when he was arrested by the Wellingara Police.
He informed the court that he took photographs of the scene, and that he was the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) in the case.
According to him, he made a report to that effect.
The case was adjourned to 8th and 12th October 2009.