At a press briefing in Banjul, the minister said that the patient arrived in the country from France by Air Marco on 15 March 2020.
He said the issue was reported to the rapid response team through the national covid-19 hotline 1025.
“A sample was collected from him and the positive test results came out on the night of the 28 March, 2020. At least 16 of his closed contacts have been place under quarantine and plans are underway to have their samples collected for testing.”
Dr. Samateh further disclosed that a new probable case has been reported, as the laboratory results came out inconclusive. He added that a repeat sample of the probable case will be taken and tested in a couple of days to conclusively determine whether it would be covid-19 or not.
“We appeal to all contacts to call the toll free number for advice, so as to take care of their families and the general public. The Ministry of Health appeals to the general public to remain calm and vigilant and follow the preventive measures at all time.”
“We appeal to the general public to follow the executive directive of the president to stay at home and have social distancing and close non-essential businesses. The virus does not move by itself, it is move by people and it moves from one person to the other. Therefore it makes sense that when people stay away from each other, at least at recommended distance; the virus is not likely to spread.”
He highlighted that we need collective effort to contain the spread of the virus, saying more need to be done because they are aware that the confirmed case was living with his family.
He advised people who have travel history and symptoms of covid-19 to come out, get tested and get medical assistance.
Meanwhile, Senegal has registered 12 new cases of covid-19.
The Ministry of Health said on Sunday that 12 new cases have been recorded bringing the total to 142, with 27 being treated.
President Macky Sall after receiving last Monday’s opposition leaders and human rights activists over the weekend, also received media chiefs, trade unionists and artistes and had extensive discussions with them.
He assured the trade unionists that workers both in the government and the private sectors should not be retrenched as he would provide funds for all workers during the crisis.
He made it clear to the top rankers of the private sector that they should not sack their staff after the government subsidy.
For the media, he reassured his government’s financial support by enhancing their productivity and enable them pay salaries, as he asked media chiefs not retrench any worker.
On the issue of curfew, the Senegalese president urges journalists to be using their press cards for the time being while the Ministry of the Interior prepares permit for them during nights.
Artists will receive financial aid from government because they play key role in the society.
President Sall this week finally promised to help the populace with basic food items, assuring that transport will be arranged for distribution throughout the country.
About 668,361 have tested negative of the pandemic worldwide while 31,045 deaths have been recorded so far.
Author: Pa Modou Cham