Fire disaster leaves dozens of Madrasa students homeless

Jul 10, 2024, 10:38 AM | Article By: Momodou Jawo

A fire outbreak that recently occurred in Farafenni, North Bank Region (NBR), has razed to ashes a building that serves as shelter, leaving dozens of students homeless at Fatoumatta Bint Rasoul (Madrasa).

The unfortunate incident forced 35 students sleeping in a mosque, according to Matida Sanneh, the owner of the school.

The cause of the fire incident couldn’t be established at the time of gathering the report.

The victims claimed that food stuffs, clothes and some monies paid by the students as tuition fees have all perished.

Speaking to our reporter in an interview, Ms Sanneh described the fire incident as “tragic”, saying it has rendered so many students homeless. “It is a painful experience because all our belongings have been ravaged by fire.”

Narrating how the fire incident happened, Sanneh said: “I went out to attend to some errands. However, while returning home, I saw smoke coming out from the apartment and the children were running away. Luckily for us, no one got injured during the fire incident,” she postulated.

The scale of the fire, she went on, was too high, adding: “That’s why it was so difficult to control the fire resulting in burning the entire building. We were able to contact fire and rescue officers, but they were not able to put the fire under control.”

“We have lost everything to the fire ranging from clothing, food stuff, 50 beds belonging to the students with unknown amount of money which was paid by the students as a tuition fee among others. I also lost some of my money during the incident,” she claimed.

She revealed that all the students were in mosque for recitation of the Qur’an and others went out to the town by the time fire started.

Matida urged the government, philanthropists, individuals and organisations to come to their aid, saying: “Currently we are in dire need of assistance from all and sundry. Most of the children in the school are orphans.”

She finally thanked inhabitants of the area for their timely response to the fire incident.