#Article (Archive)

PW1 testifies in alleged fraud case

Oct 6, 2010, 1:42 PM | Article By: Isatou Senghore

The first prosecution witness (PW1), Ebrima Bah, recently testified at the Kanifing Magistrates' court, in the trial of Muhammed Camara and Oumie Jatta who are charged with conspiracy to defraud, stealing and possession of papers or implements to forge.

Testifying, Ebrima Bah told the court that he recognised the accused persons, and that on 24 August 2010 he was at his work place when the 2nd accused called him on his phone, and said she was with a boy who needed dollars to buy.

He said the 2nd accused gave him the telephone number of one Omar Kanteh, whom he called and the said Omar Kanteh said he needed $10,000, but was only able to get $8000. He added that they agreed on the exchange rate of D30.75 per dollar.

According to him, he bought a total of $8000 and the 1st accused told him to meet him at the 2nd accused's house. He said upon his arrival there, he found the 2nd accused together with the 1st accused.

PW1 further revealed that after some time, Omar Kanteh came and met them at the sitting room of the house of the 2nd accused person, and demanded for the money. He then gave it to him and asked for his Gambian dalasis, but Omar told him to wait.

He said that the three of them moved from the sitting room into the bedroom. After some time, the 1st accused came out of the bedroom into the sitting room. He then asked him for his money and, in reply, he told him that they were counting the money, and told him to wait.

The complainant said he then rushed into the bedroom, and found them standing. He said he observed that Omar Kanteh was having a plastic bag, piercing it with a pin.

"I told them to refund my money so that I could go, but at that point, I did not know where my money was," he stated.

He said Omar Kanteh later told him that he was going outside to smoke.

According to the complainant, the 1st accused also said he was going to look for Omar Kanteh, and left him with the 2nd accused in the house.

After one hour, he called the 1st accused and asked him where he was and, in reply, he said he was sitting in a bar waiting for Omar Kanteh. He said, after a while, the 1st accused came back and he asked him about Omar Kanteh.

The 2nd accused, Oumie Jatta, went out to ask for Omar's girl friend's telephone number, but could not find the number.

He then told the second accused that he needed his money or else he would call the police, who in reply told him that if he called the police, she would tell them that he was part of the deal.

He said he then called the Serrekunda Police Station, and that officers came to his aid.

He said he narrated everything to them, and then they entered the house of the accused persons, but nothing could be found.

He testified further that they went to Serrekunda Police Station, and the 2nd accused was called by one police officer to report to the station, but he could not find Omar Kanteh, and the $8000.

He said his statement was obtained from him.

The case was adjourned to 7 October 2010 for continuation.