#Article (Archive)

Prosecution witness testifies in theft case

May 18, 2015, 12:14 PM | Article By: Isatou Senghore-Njie

The first prosecution (PW1), Jim Gaye, recently testified in the trial involving one Sheikh Tijan Jallow, accused of theft before Magistrate Colley of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court.

Gaye told the court that he lives in Dippa Kunda and he is a businessman.

He recognized the accused and knew him as his neighbor, adding that he could also recall what happened on 2 April 2015.

According to him, a night before Easter Friday, he was out with his brother and wife who came from the US.

He explained that they returned home at around 2-3 am and the brother and wife went to bed while he was sitting at the pallor watching movies and charging his two phones I-Phone 4 and Samsung Galaxy Exb.

He further informed the court that he was having an amount of D15,000 place on the table, which was given to him by his brother at that very night.

Mr Gaye said unfortunately for him, he fell asleep, adding his father was going for early morning prayers and found out he (the witness) door opened.

The father wake him up and asked him why his door was opened and he told the father he fell asleep, he said, adding that his father asking him to check his things whether there was nothing missing.

He observed that the said two mobile phones and cash were missing.

According to him, in the morning, he went to report the matter to the Serrekunda Police Station where he was referred to the police post behind Sunukerr and lodged a complained, and told them he know the serial numbers of the phones.

He said a printout of phones was made from Africell on the same day and they observed that a SIM was slut in the Africell phone, adding that the police were able to trace the person who was using the said phone through his wife.

Mr Gaye adduced that the person was called Omar who surrender the phone to the police and he was asked about the phone identification, which he did.

He further told the court that the I phone 4 valued at D5,500 while Samsung Galaxy valued at D4,000.

He said the accused was later arrested and he was called to come and identified the accused.

At that juncture, the accused was granted court bail of D50,000 with a Gambian surety who must swear to an affidavit of means.

The case was adjourned to 18 May 2015.