#Article (Archive)

Nurses’ case continues

Jun 9, 2014, 10:41 AM | Article By: Dawda Faye

The case involving Awa Beyai, Awa Sanneh and Ndey Ceesay, nurses at the Serrekunda Health Centre, continued on 4 June 2014, before Magistrate Tabally of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court.

The third prosecution witness, Jankeh Sambou, was led in evidence by the prosecuting officer, Inspector Touray.

She told the court that she knows the complainant, Isatou Sambou, and that she lives at Kotu, adding that Isatou’s father is her brother.

She adduced that on 17 November 2013, Isatou Sambou had a stomachache.

She said she then took her to the Serrekunda Health Centre. She posited that on their arrival, Isatou approached Awa Sanneh and showed her document, adding that Awa Sanneh referred her to Kanifing Hospital.

She identified Awa Sanneh, who was in the dock. She stated that Awa Bayo was also present, and identified one of the accused persons as Awa Bayo and described her as a slim lady, and Awa Sanneh as a fat lady.

She said after Awa Sanneh had returned the document to Isatou Sambou, and as Isatou Sambou went to the Sandika Market, she delivered on the road, adding that people around her surrounded her and some brought a piece of cloth and covered her, then took the baby and place Isatou on a wheelchair and pushed her into the health centre along with the baby.

The witness further adduced that the security arrived in a large number and people at the Sandika came to the health centre.

She told the court that it was when they were trying to wash the baby that people started protesting against the way Isatou was treated.

She stated that Isatou delivered her second baby inside the health centre while she, Isatou, was with her elder sister, adding that nothing happened to the baby at the time.

She narrated that the accused persons were at the health centre but Isatou was assisted by her elder sister.

She further told the court that when the people gathered at the health centre, a telephone call was made and Isatou was escorted to the Kanifing Hospital.

The case was adjourned till 10 June 2014.