#Article (Archive)

Hair dresser testifies in saloon theft case

Oct 20, 2010, 1:24 PM | Article By: Isatou Senghore

Fatou Manneh, a hairdresser, recently testified in the criminal trial of one Dawda Jobe, who allegedly stole from a saloon, before Magistrate Tabally of the Knifing Magistrates' Court.

Testifying as the first prosecution witness, Fatou Manneh told the court that she recognised the accused person, who was her co- worker at a saloon.

She said, on 1st October 2010, she came to work at around 12 noon, but did not find the accused and other workers at the place. She then continued to buy lemon at the market.

According to her, when she returned to the saloon, she found the accused standing at the door of the saloon, who asked her why she came to work at that time.

She said she apologised, and told him it would not happened again. She opened the doors, and they worked up to closing time.

"The accused said to me that he will go with the keys of the saloon to his house, which I accepted," she added.

"The following day at around 11 a.m. I reported to work, and I found that the workshop was still locked. I asked one Pa Omar whether the accused came to work, and Pa Omar told me that the accused spent the night in the saloon."

Pa Omar, she added, then went with her to the door, and they found that the padlock of the door was opened.

She said they went inside the saloon, and found that many things were missing, and were advised not to touch anything from the remaining items.

"I then made a telephone call to the owner of the saloon, one Fatoumatta Jammeh, and explained the incident to her," she revealed.

"The matter was later reported to Serrekunda Police Station, and the scene was visited, and we found that there was no damage on the padlock," she added. She said a statement was later obtained from her.

According to the charge sheet, on 3rd September 2010, at Serrekunda Market in the Kanifing Municipality, the accused, Dawda Jobe, stole from the saloon of one Fatoumatta Jammeh items worth D39,021, being the property of the said Fatoumatta Jammeh.

The accused, who denied the charge, was subsequently granted bail in the sum of D50, 000 with two Gambia sureties, who must swear to an affidavit of means.

The case was adjourned to 26th October 2010 for continuation.