#Article (Archive)

Fire renders family homeless in Kiang Nioro

Feb 22, 2016, 10:08 AM | Article By: Ebrima Bah, rural correspondent

A fire outbreak has rendered a family of at least eight people homeless in Nioro Jattaba village in the Kiang West District of the Lower River Region on Thursday.

The fire, believed to have started from the kitchen, engulfed four huts belonging to the extended family of Omar Bah.

According to the victim, everything belonging to his household had perished in the inferno.

“All I am left with are the clothes I am wearing, and the same thing applies to the rest of my family members,” he told The Point newspaper.

Among the things lost in the fire were food, clothes, family and personal documents, petty cash and school and learning materials for the school-going children, he said.

The coordinator of the National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA) in the Lower River Region, Lamin Saidy, observed that the affected family is in “a sorry situation” and, therefore, “needs urgent support”.

According to him, the current situation of the victims has an extended burden on the immediate neighbours in terms of food, shelter and other basic needs.

Mr Saidy used the moment to ask for support on behalf of the affected family from every source.

The family could be contacted through the phone number: 3606475.

The year 2016 seems to begin with fire incidents in the Lower River Region. Within the period, there has been destruction of a seven-hectare cashew garden, and a fruit garden in the villages of Jarra Suluko, and Jarra Sikunda by bush fires.

In a separate incident, a compound was reduced to ashes in Jarra Suluko village, while a few canteens perished at the Gambia Transport Service Company depot in Jarra Soma recently.