Jul 13, 2012, 2:34 PM
At least five houses were reportedly consumed by fire in the village of Fittu wollof in Sami district, Central River Region north, according to our provincial reporter.
The incident, which lasted for about 3 hours before community members could put off the fire, did not claim any life but one Alhagie Ngum lost his index finger during the encounter.
Bundi Sowe, head of the affected compounds, told this reporter that the fire emanated from the kitchen of one Jama Sowe, who was cooking that afternoon between 1 and 2pm.
The fire, he said, ravaged all the foodstuffs, clothes, money and other valuable materials in the compounds.
He appealed for support and assistance to the victims from government, NGOs and philanthropists as "the situation is very serious".
Seedy Mbenga, the alkalo of the village, said the victims "are really in need of help".
The victims, according to sources, have lodged in the alkalo's compound since the incident took place last week.
Alkalo Mbenga said his community members were very supportive and were working hard to re-build the burnt houses for the victims to have a place to sleep.
Anyone who would like to assist the victims can call the following numbers: 6361340 and 7171592.