#Article (Archive)

Employer dragged to court

Nov 21, 2011, 1:33 PM | Article By: Adama K. Jallow

One Ousman Jarjusey was recently dragged to the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court by one Ramatoulie Jatta for terminating her services and not paying her salary on time.

The plaintiff, Ramatoulie Jatta, told the court that she started working for the defendant on 5 October 2011, as a cleaner.

She added that she got to know the defendant through her friend who stays in Kololi. It was the friend who informed her that she had seen a job if she was interested.

She told the court that she spoke with the defendant and they agreed on a salary of D1, 000 monthly and the date to commence the work.

Ms Jatta said further that the day she started the work, she laundered some clothes and cleaned the room, adding that she was given D50 for the work done.

The plaintiff revealed that there was another girl whose work was unsatisfying to the defendant and was later asked to quit, adding that she was promised that she had secured the job.

She added that on 7 October 2011, when she wanted to go home after finishing her job, the defendant was napping; she therefore decided to leave her phone number on the desk.

She said she later called the defendant in the evening asked whether she should go to work on Sunday, but was told to take a rest by the defendant.

“I reported to work for three days. On the third day, I suffered from headache and then took permission from a friend of the defendant by the name Kebba Sabally,” the plaintiff explained.

She further explained that after midnight, she called the defendant, but he did not pick the call, stating that the following Tuesday when she reported to work, Kebba, the friend of the defendant, informed her that she had to quit and come back for the salary at the end of the month, to which she disagreed.

The defendant, Ousman Jarjusey, for his part, told the court that he was not satisfied with the plaintiff’s work that was why he terminated her services.

The court later ordered the defendant to pay the said amount to the plaintiff.

The case was then adjourned till 5 December 2011.