#Article (Archive)

2nd accused opens defence in Lt. Col. Solo Bojang and Co trial

Jan 24, 2014, 9:43 AM | Article By: Halimatou Ceesay

The trial involving Lt. Col. Solo Bojang and Anineh Jammeh Tuesday proceeded at the Brikama Magistrates’ Court before Magistrate Jobarteh.

The case continued with the 2nd accused opening his defence.

Solo Bojang and Anineh Jammeh are being tried on charges of conspiracy and theft, which they denied.

In his defence, the 2nd accused, Anineh Jammeh, told the court he is from Allakunda and he knew the 1st accused.

He said the nine bulls were brought to his compound at Allakunda by one Ebrima Sanneh, who said it was Solo who gave them to him to bring them to him.

He said Solo said it was the H.E. who owns them, adding that he came back from the farm and saw the bulls in his compound.

He said he asked the 1st accused and he told him that the Head of State said it was for the people who were to cut the fence poles, adding that three bulls died.

The following day, he continued, the 1st accused came and told him that he would give him a tractor to go and inform the villages, since he was the one who knew them.

He said he went and informed the alkalo of Kunjunhor and told him the 1st accused wanted them to cut some fence poles.

He added that he told the alkalo that anytime they were ready, they could go to the 1st accused for the food items and he would give them a bull.

The 2nd accused further said that he later went to Bayanka and Kanfuda, adding that these people used to go to the President’s farm in Kanilai to do some work, so if they were called to do any work there, they would go.

He said he later proceeded to Kanfenke-Kanjaju.

DW2 said when they started cutting the fence poles, they told him about it and from there, they went to collect their feeding.

He said Kanjunghor was the first village he collected the fence poles from, adding that the 1st accused gave him two tractors and when he brought the fence poles, he informed him.

He added that he was also given two tractors when going to Banyanka and Kafenke-Kanjaju, stating that the fence poles from Yunorr were not collected and he called the first accused and informed him.

He said the fence poles from Kanfuda were also not collected, stating that they called him and told him about it but his son was involved in an accident and he could not collect them.

DW2 said these were messages that he got from the 1st accused and he carried it out because he worked under him.

He said the 1st accused told him it was the President who sent him and he believed him, adding that when he was appointed, he was asked to work with the soldiers and whatever they assigned him to do, he should do it.

Under cross-examination by the 1st accused, who asked him if he could recall where he packed the fence poles, he said it was packed in Wone in Kanilai.

The 1st accused again asked where Wone was, and the 2nd accused said Wone is where the President lives.

“Can you recall the driver who went to collect them?” asked the 1st accused.

“I mostly go with the apprentices but could not remember their names,” the 2nd accused said.

Responding to questions from the prosecutor, Sub-inspector Sarr, who asked the 2nd accused how he came to know the 1st accused and how long; the 2nd accused said he had known him for more then 5 years and through the work of the President’s farm.

“Are you working directly under him?” asked the prosecutor.

“Yes,” the 2nd accused answered.

“Since you worked with him, you took orders from him directly,” the prosecution enquired.

“Yes,” he answered.

The case continues on 27 January 2014.