Nov 22, 2011, 1:44 PM
The changes are meant to reflect and ameliorate current constraints in ensuring regular collection of membership subscriptions as well as put standard criteria as to how one can gain membership of the association.
It is also believed that, with the new changes the media organizations would have a greater interest in the SJAG and boost the promotion of sports coverage and or allocation in each media group’s association.
MEMBERSHIP AND SUBSCRIPTION - Article 4
1. Henceforth, all members of the SJAG must be affiliated or belong to at least one media organization, either as a freelance or full-time staff member, with proven record of previous work in any media as a sports journalist or photographer.
2. The current membership will cease to exist from the date the general assembly adopts the new constitution and each member must pay a subscription fee of D500 to re-register by completing a registration form. Members shall pay a monthly contribution fee, the amount of which will be determined by the next Executive Committee.
VOTING - Article 14
1. It is proposed that each media house in The Gambia, with a sports department be allocated one vote at elective congresses, at which they could be represented by at least three delegates. Each media house would be represented at congress by 3 delegates who must be up-to-date with their subscription payment.
2. No executive committee position candidate can contest in absentia.
The Co-opted Members - Article 10 section 8
Four persons from among the members of the association shall be nominated by the General Body to serve in the Executive Committee as Co-opted members.
They shall assume duties and functions that the committee may assign them.
They shall have voting rights as any other member of the Executive Committee
Cessation of Membership - Article 5
Failure to pay your monthly contribution within a grace period of 6 months your membership will cease.
FINANCE AND MANAGEMENT - Article 12
1. Proposal to appoint external Auditors for our Accounts to meet modern management standards.
2. Thus, the position and functions of the Auditor in the current constitution shall be removed.
3. All financial expenditures exceeding D5,000 (Five thousand dalasi) shall be referred to the Finance Committee for approval in a meeting enlisting the support of all the members of the Committee.
The General Secretary on behalf of the Finance Committee shall provide a clearance (signed) for all expenditures approved by the Committee and forward it to the Treasurer for onward execution.
4. All expenditures exceeding D10,000 (Ten thousand dalasi) shall be referred to the General Body for approval or otherwise. They shall provide a signed notice to the treasurer indicating their decision authorising the expenditure or otherwise.
Members of the constitutional review committee: Lamin Cham, Namory Trawally, Alasan Mballow, Abdoulie Nget, Musa Sise and Abdoulie Bah.