#Article (Archive)

Pakau Saloum, Bakalarr in Late Badou Jasseh Trophy finals

Dec 5, 2012, 9:35 AM | Article By: Cherno Omar Bobb

The two highly anticipated semifinals of the 2012 Late Badou Jasseh memorial tournament organised by Kerr Mama Sports Committee and sponsored by Baboucarr Jallow, a US-based Gambian football referee, were over the weekend played at the Alh Gabbi Sosseh Mini Stadium in Kerr Mama Village.

On Saturday, 1 December Pakau Saloum FC defeated Fass Omar Saho FC by two goals to nil in the first semi-finals encounter played in a tense atmosphere as both teams put up strong performances throughout the game.

Fass Omar Saho FC started as the stronger side and almost took the lead when striker Modou Njie came close with a header in the opening 10 minutes.

Pakau Saloum took charge when they scored the first goal, which came in the wake of a blunder from a Fass Omar Saho FC defender who instead of clearing the ball or allowing his goal keeper to clear decided to deflect the ball which went straight into the path of striker Ebrima Gaye of Pakau Saloum FC who made no mistake in finishing the ball into an empty net.

Pakau Saloum went on to play very strongly and could have doubled their lead in the 36th minute when Alhagie Ceesay was played through by Gaye but his finish was poor and went off target.

As action resumed in the second period of the game, Fass Omar Saho FC pressed hard for an equalizing goal and almost levelled the score when Modou Njie hit the cross bar in the 60th minute of the game.

As the game progresses, Fass Omar Saho, FC continued to press on but Pakau Saloum FC were excellent in defending.

With five minutes to go, Pakau Saloum FC hit on counterattack and Abdoulie Sarr did well to hold the challenge of the Fass Omar Saho defender when he slotted the second and killer goal for his team.

The match was marred with violence at the end and that almost overshadowed the great display that was shown by both teams.

In the Second semifinals played on Sunday, 2 December 2012, Bakalarr defeated Mass Sosseh of Kerr Mama in a tightly contested game which was decided via penalty shootout.

The game ended in a goalless draw and Bakalarr won 4-1 on penalties. Both teams played good football during the match but they failed to create realistic chances to score.

Mass Sosseh came close twice during the game but they could not take their chances. Bakalarr played a good passing game showing great patience throughout the match.

During the penalty shootout, Bakalarr goalkeeper made two saves to help send his team into the finals of the tournament.

The games were watched by thousands of football lovers around the region.

All the fans are now looking forward to the finals which will be held on a date to be announced by the organizing committee.