#Article (Archive)

Junglers M.L. Tamba, Oya accused of killing Manneh

Mar 17, 2020, 3:37 PM | Article By: Pa Modou Cham

Musa Sallah alias Gorreh, who yesterday testified before the TRRC, revealed that junglers M.L. Tamba and Omar Jallow alias Oya shot him (Sallah) and one Pa Manneh, resulting in Manneh’s death.

Giving his testimony, Sallah explained that in February 2001, Pa Manneh found him in Njeyreh, Casamance, where he was seeking for prayers to improve his photographic work.

He added that he asked Manneh to take him along when going back the following morning to The Gambia.

“He took me and as we were going, around Umarto, I heard several shots against us and Manneh said they were rebels.”

He told the commission that unfortunately Manneh fainted and he later died. At some time, he said, he heard some noise from the bush and shouted for help, not knowing he was seeking help from the people that shot them.

He continued that they took them from there to Giboroh Police Station, where they were kept for about 30 minutes in a room.

Before that, he said, a white man called Francis ordered his killing but the soldiers refused and later took them to Brikama Police Station and then to Yundum.

He said he was later taken to Banjul Hospital, adding he fainted and later regained consciousness at the Emergency Ward, where he met his family. According to him, he stayed for months in the hospital.

Sallah explained that during his stay at the hospital, a police officer was attached to guard him. He added that the police told him that he was shot by the junglers and he was with him to offer assistance in case they wanted to kill him, then he would serve as the witness.

“Upon my release from the hospital, I was taken to police headquarters and Mr. Jai Sowe told me that I should leave selling drugs. He removed his pistol and told me that if I didn’t leave selling drugs, then he would kill me. But I told him I sold no drug.”

He said he was later taken to the drug squad where his statement was taken and then moved to NIA where he was interrogated and taken back to Police Headquarters.

He said he was later granted bail at the Drug Squad and reported after one week in the month of April. He added that one Police Officer Pateh asked him to pay him D5, 000 so as to close the case.

He revealed that he was finally granted bail, adding that the aftermath took him about six years before he secured a job in a bar owned by his friend Modou Badjie.

“I was not drinking alcohol before working there but I eventually started drinking when I began the work.”

Sallah explained that the junglers used to go to their bar and he later got to know from Sanna Manjang that M.L. Tamba and Omar Jallow alias Oya shot them.

In his concluding remarks, he accused the police and the drug officials of corruption.