#Article (Archive)

Fire ravages Lower Baddibou NAM’s compound

Jun 1, 2012, 1:17 PM | Article By: Lamin B. Darboe

Nearly D200,000 Dalasis worth of materials perished in an inferno at Old Jeshwang when a house in the compound of Hon. Suku Singhateh, National Assembly Member for Lower Baddibou, was gutted by fire on Thursday.

The incident, which happened in the early hours of Thursday morning between 3am to 4am, saw household materials including furniture sets, televisions, DVDs, fridges, wall drawers and air conditioners burnt to ashes.

Narrating the incident to our reporter who visited the scene yesterday morning, Hon. Singhateh said the fire occurred when his family was asleep.

According to him, an electricity short-circuit is suspected to be the cause of the fire. He explained that thanks to the help of neighbours, who came to his aid, nobody was harmed.

“Fortunately for us, we all escaped through the windows by climbing onto the ladder then move out of the house,” he said, adding that thanks to his neighbours, the fire outbreak was eventually put under control.

He commended his neighbours, and all those who came to assist his family in putting out the fire.

After news of the incident broke, hundreds of sympathizers notably ruling APRC party bigwigs led by the Speaker of the National Assembly, Hon Abdoulie Bojang, APRC National Mobiliser and Mayor of the Kanifing Municipality, Yankuba Colley, among others, all visited the scene.