#Article (Archive)

Femi Peters trial continues

Jan 22, 2010, 11:57 AM | Article By: Dawda Faye

Lawyer Ousainou Darboe, on 21st January 2010, continued cross-examining the fourth prosecution witness, Superintendent Ken Mendy, in the Femi Peters' case before Principal Magistrate Ikpala of the Kanifing Magistrates' Court.

Responding to questions from the defence counsel, Superintendent Mendy told the court that the application of the Minority Leader of the National Assembly was not approved. When he was asked why, the witness said he does not know.

The witness was shown an application letter by a group called "Taku Legaye" APRC and asked whether there was anything on it that shows that it was not approved. He replied that P/A meaning 'put away' was written on the said application letter of "Taku Legaye" APRC.

When put to him that the date on the application letter is 23rd August 2001, and that the rally was supposed to be held on 17th August 2001, Mendy answered in the positive.

"Why was the application not rejected before 17th August 2001?" the defence counsel asked.

"I don't know," he replied. It was again put to him that the said application was made up or forged. In reply, he said he does not know.

"You said that the present police administration does not send a written rejection. I put it to you that the said application was signed by the police administration," Lawyer Darboe challenged.

"Yes, it is true," he answered. He added that some of the applications were minuted to the IGP. When asked whether the APRC application was minuted on the back to the IGP and on the front, Mendy said "it was minuted."

"I put  it to you that the "Taku Legaye" APRC application did not come from the Campaign Manager of APRC," the defence counsel argued.

"Yes," Mendy told the court.

"Why did you permit youths of a small ward, and refused to grant a permit to the Minority Leader of the National Assembly?" questioned the defence counsel.

"I don't know," said the witness.

"Have you in the past week received an application that the National Mobiliser of APRC is going on a political tour?" Lawyer Darboe asked.

"No," he said.

At this juncture, Inspector Fadera told the court that he was going to call his last witness to testify.

Lawyer Darboe then rose to say that he had other matters at the High Court, and applied for an adjournment.

The prosecutor did not object to the application, and the case was adjourned to 2nd February 2010 for continuation of hearing.