#Article (Archive)

Businessman, prison officer testify in ex-IGP Badjie and Co case

Nov 29, 2012, 8:35 AM | Article By: Malamin LM Conteh

A local businessman and a prison officer yesterday testified as defence witnesses in the case involving former police chief Ensa Badjie, Lt Col Mam Matarr Secka, former transport commander at the Gambia Armed Forces and Major Kuluteh Manneh, a former military police commander.

The former senior security officers are being tried under a 51-count charge at the Special Criminal Court in Banjul before Justice Emmanuel Nkea.

Yusupha Jammeh, a resident of Fagikunda and a businessman, testified that he sells building materials and electronic goods, and recognised the 1st accused, Ensa Badjie, who used to buy materials from his shop three years back.

He further stated that he had evidence at hand that can support his testimony, and he produced duplicate receipts bearing the name of Ensa Badjie, and the defence counsel applied to tender the receipts.

However, the Director of Public Prosecutions raised an objection, but his objection was overruled by the trial judge.

The receipts were admitted and marked as exhibits.

Under cross-examination by the DPP, S.H. Barkun, the witness told the court that he could not read and write.

Also testifying was one Inspector Alieu B Colley, a prison officer attached to the reception at prisons headquarters in Mile 2.

Colley informed the court that he received instructions from the commissioner of administration at Mile 2, to bring the file to the court as the Prisons DG was not at work for sometime.

He tendered the register requested by the court from the security wing, following the application by the defence counsel.

The DPP objected to the tendering, but his objection was again overruled by the judge.

The registers were admitted and marked as exhibits.

Asked by the defence counsel whether he (the witness) had the subpoena with him in court, which was served on the Director-General of prisons, the witness said, “No”.

The defence counsel at that juncture applied for an adjournment, and his application was granted.

The case was then adjourned to 10 December 2012.

The court further ordered the prison authority at Mile 2 Central Prisons to conduct a proper search at the records office, with a view to fully comply with the court’s order.