#Article (Archive)

Bun Sanneh defence continues

Nov 8, 2011, 11:44 AM | Article By: Malamin Conteh

Ibrahim Bun Sanneh, former executive director of the National Drug Enforcement Agency, on 3 November 2011 continued his defence testimony at the Special Criminal Court in Banjul.

Bun  Sanneh told the court that some time ago his officers had a confrontation with the NIA in Brikama, during an operation in a drugs-related issue.

“I was called by the 3rd accused, Ousman Sanneh, my operational commander, who told me that our officers had a confrontation with the NIA, in a drugs-related issue,” he told the court.

Sanneh said he relayed the information to the then Director General of the NIA, BO Badjie, and asked him why the NIA got information about a drugs-related matter, and did not let him know.

Bun further testified that BO Badjie told him that two NDEA officers obstructed NIA personnel in their operation, and that he needed those two officers.

“I later handed over to him Lamin Kabou and Lamin Sima, in the presence of Lamin Hydara, deputy director of NIA, and Alhagie Morr,” Bun Sanneh continued.

He added that upon his return to his office, he called a senior management meeting, and that while at the meeting one of the officers frantically knocked at his door, and forcefully entered into his office naked and bleeding with wounds all over his body, and laid on the floor.

“I called the then director general of the NIA, BO Badjie, and told him, ‘Did you see how your personnel tortured my officer?’ He asked me, ‘where is the boy?’, and I told him that he is here,” he told the court.

 After a while, Sanneh continued, Alhagie Morr and Ebrima Drammeh unceremoniously entered his office, after having a tough push and pull with his officers at the door.

Then Alhagie Morr told him that they were after their prisoner, Lamin Kabou, who had just escaped from their custody, adding that Alhagie Morr told him that they have to take back Lamin Kabou, whatever it would take.

He stated that Alhagie Morr admitted inflicting brutality on Lamin Kabou, adding that he then handed him back to them in order not to interfere in their investigations.

Bun Sanneh said, at that juncture, then IGP Ensa Badjie came and told him that he heard a big noise while in his office, and saw a man running almost naked toward Sanneh’s office.

He said Ensa Badjie then told him that, as he (Ensa Badjie) was the most senior security chief, he would take up the matter with the Minister of the Interior.

The case continues on 8 November 2011.