#Article (Archive)

Broken bottle stabbing case commences

Dec 2, 2015, 11:02 AM | Article By: Dawda Faye

Police prosecutor Sergeant 544 Jaiteh, on 26 November 2015, paraded his first witness before Magistrate Janneh of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court, to testify in the case involving one Muhammed Touray, who was charged with three counts of house-breaking, stealing and assault causing grievous bodily harm.

Muhammed Touray did not accept any responsibility.

Dawda Bah, the witness, told the court that he lives at Sanchaba and his profession is borehole making.

He said that on 9 October 2015, between 4am and 5am, he was in his house, when the accused broke one of the doors and entered the house.

Mr Bah added that he then stood at the door through which the accused entered, and asked him to tell what he was doing in the house.

The accused then walked close to him, and he pushed back the accused after knocking the accused with his head.

Mr Bah told the court that the accused stabbed him on one of his arms, after smashing a bottle he was holding on the floor.

While he was looking at his injured arm, the accused walked out of the house.

Bah further stated that he followed the accused, grabbed him by the neck and started hitting him.

His brother then came with a cutlass, and told him to stop hitting the accused.

Bah told his brother to help him take him to the hospital, because the accused had stabbed him again on his other arm, and he was bleeding.

Bah’s brother and his other relatives took him to the Serrekunda Hospital, where they were told that he should have been escorted by a police officer.

His relatives went to the police, and later came with a police officer, and he was treated and discharged.

At this juncture, prosecutor 544 Jaiteh applied to the court to adjourn the case so the witness would continue his testimony.

His application was granted and the case was adjourned till 3 December 2015.

The bill of indictment earlier presented by prosecutor 544 Jaiteh indicated that the accused, Muhammed Touray, broke and entered the house of one Dawda Bah with intent to steal.

His action, according to prosecutors, amounted to committing an offence.

Prosecutors further stated that the incident took place at Sanchaba on 9 October 2015, in the Kanifing Municipality.

Muhammed Touray was alleged to have stolen one mobile phone, of mark Samsung valued at D800, the property of Dawda Bah.

Prosecutors stated that the accused committed the offence on the same date and place.

The bill of indictment further indicated that Muhammed Touray assaulted Dawda Bah on his arms with a broken bottle, causing him grievous bodily harm on the same date and place.