#Article (Archive)

BAC official testifies in trial of eight suspects

Feb 10, 2011, 12:29 PM | Article By: Yai Dibba-Jallow

Buba Jammeh, an official of the Brikama Area Council, on Tuesday testified in the trial of eight accused persons, who were charged with conspiracy, assault, threatening violence and grievous bodily harm.

The accused persons are Modou Badjie, Alagie Sanyang, Wuyeh Badjie, Bakary Badjie, Malang B. Jatta, Malang Badjie and Jerreh Badjie.

In his testimony, the second prosecution witness (PW2), Buba Jammeh, said he knew Wuyeh Sanyang, Dembo Badjie and Alagie Sanyang.

He said that on 24 May 2009, he and his brothers, Foday Jammeh, Nuha Jammeh and Lamin Jammeh, went on a demarcation exercise, to distribute among their family land that was located at Madina Salam and borders land of the Karlong Touray Kunda family in the western part of Berending.

According to him, while they were on the demarcation exercise, he saw a group of men coming from Berending with cutlasses and sticks, adding that as they approached them, they started insulting them and asked them to leave the said land because “it belongs” to them.

He said the accused persons further told them that it was given to them by the former Governor of West Coast Region, Sankung Badjie.

Still testifying, PW2 told the court that he asked the accused persons whether the Governor had the right to give them the land.

It was then Wuyeh gave him a slap, and beat him all over his body while the rest of the accused persons were surrounding him.

“My brother, Foday Jammeh (PW1) came to rescue me from the accused persons, and they told us that if we do not stop coming to that land, they will kill us,” he further told the court.

“The accused persons further told us that they are ready to sacrifice their lives to make sure that they get the said land, and that even if they are to go to court, the court will not do anything to them because they were ready for the trial,” PW2 further adduced.

He said they reported the matter to the Gunjur Police Station, and the accused persons were arrested by the police and their weapons were taken to the station. He said he later made his statement to that effect.

The case presided over by Magistrate Secka was at this stage adjourned till 21st February 2011.