#Headlines

Parent alleges injustice as Apple Tree expels 3 students

Dec 29, 2020, 12:25 PM | Article By: Abdoulie Nyockeh

At least three students have been expelled by the Apple Tree International School, alleging act of misconduct.

The parent of the two students, however, has described the action as unfair and unjustified.

Alhagie Ngum, the parent of the two expelled students demands justice from the school authorities, saying their action is tantamount to injustice. He thus threatened to take legal action if the school does not reverse its decision.

It was alleged that the expelled students were involved in a fight.

But according to Mr. Ngum, the fight occurred after his two daughters had already closed from school and came back home undressed without their uniforms.

He explained that the two girls were accompanying one of their friends, who paid them a visit.

On their way going, he explained that they met with three of their colleagues who were coming from school and then a quarrel ensued – which resulted in a physical fight; just about 500m away from the school.

According to Mr. Ngum, during the fight, one of their colleagues, who was at the scene called one Saikou, who videoed the scene and also took pictures and later posted on social media.

He stated that after hearing the information, he (Ngum) visited the school three times to see the management but not avail as the school management was engaged in series of meetings.

He said it was on the third day of his visit to the school around 11 a.m. that he was told to go and later come back.

He said unfortunately, he was issued a letter indicating that two of his daughters were expelled, with other students from the opposing camp being suspended for a week.

“I received a letter from the school and the letter indicated that my two daughters were expelled with one student, who was also involved in the fight.

The school’s disciplinary action committee issued a letter and signed by Alh. Ibrahima A. Faye, regarding the expulsion of the three students.

According to the letter, on Monday 30th November the students were physically involved in a fight in school uniform that went viral on social media.

“This act created a lot of embarrassment, police involvement and brought the name of the school to disrepute.”

“As a school we are left with no alternative than to apply our internal rules to ensure such act is not repeated by other students.”

“It is important to note that the school will not be in any position to issue her any document purported to comment on or in support of her behaviour. We can only issue academic transcript on request.”

When contacted, the head of the school, Moses Ugebraise confirmed the expulsion of the three students, saying the decision was part of the recommendation from the school Disciplinary Action Committee. He said after the fight, a thorough investigation was carried out and found that the expelled three students setup the plan to attack their other colleague.

He said this is what prompted the school disciplinary committee to expel them and suspend the others for a week.

He concluded that the school will stand by its decision.

Read Other Articles In Headlines
UTG
UTG, 4 other higher learning institutions shut as Covid-19 surges
Aug 4, 2020, 2:54 PM

The University of The Gambia and four other higher learning institutions have been closed down by the Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology on Monday 3 July 2020 due to the continuous spike in the number of Covid-19 cases in the country.

Rural Child v2
Rural Child trains VDC reps, Alkalolu on migration
Mar 2, 2021, 11:45 AM

The Rural Child, a charitable organisation with funding from the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) recently held a two day awareness campaign on irregular migration for 30 Village Development Committee Youth Representatives and 30 Alkalolu drawn from various communities within Kombo East District, West Coast Region.

Fatou Mass Jobe
Covid-19: Hospitality, allied sectors grapples with D6.7 billion loss
May 5, 2020, 1:12 PM

As coronavirus epidemic continues to cripple global economies and paralyse businesses, another sector feeling the devastating blow is the hospitality and allied sectors.

Sankareh and Sanyang
Gov’t refutes coup plot allegations as outrageous  
Jun 9, 2020, 11:49 AM

Dated Monday, 8 June 2020 Banjul, The Gambia – In the wake of malicious and subversive audio messages circulating on Social Media warning The Gambia Government of a looming coup plot allegedly being hatched by some private citizens, senior government and military officials, the public is hereby informed that these are outrageous and baseless allegations.