#Article (Archive)

Serrekunda Health Centre nurses’ case progresses

Sep 3, 2014, 9:59 AM | Article By: Dawda Faye

The trial involving Awa Beyai, Awa Sanneh and Ndey Ceesay, nurses at the Serrekunda Health Centre, proceeded on 1 September 2014, before Magistrate Tabally of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court.

Chief Inspector Touray led his witness, Sunkaru Camara, to testify against the accused, who were charged with negligence and abuse of office.

In her testimony, the witness told the court she is a petty trader who lives in Talinding.

She said that on 17 November 2013, she was sitting at the gate of the Serrekunda Health Centre selling near the textile sellers.

She adduced she saw a pregnant woman coming from the health centre saying she could not go by herself. She added that the pregnant lady was with an old woman.

She posited that she approached her and consulted some women who were around, that there was someone who was in labour.

She testified that some women came to help, adding that after she gave birth in the streets, the old woman who was accompanying her, picked up the baby.

She stated that she told them to take the baby inside, and that she saw a nurse who was sitting at a table and told her that was the baby given birth to in the street.

She said further that the nurse received the baby from the old woman, adding that she then told the nurse the baby’s mother was outside.

At this juncture, Chief Inspector Touray asked her whether she knew the nurse she was talking about.

The witness then pointed at Awa Beyai, the first accused, and said she was referring to her.

She testified that the nurse told her that the complainant, Isatou Sambou, should have gone to the Serrekunda Hospital but failed to do so.

She adduced that she went outside, lifted the complainant and took her into the health centre while she was sitting in a wheelchair.

She said the women at Sandika attempted to get into the health centre, adding that she went outside and was later called by the complainant to answer, which she did.

She narrated that she came out and found Halifa Sallah, who asked her what happened, and she told him, adding that they were then taken to Kanifing Police Station and narrated what happened.

Kebba Sanyang, who was representing the third accused, Ndey Ceesay, told the court he had no question for the witness.

The case continues.