#Article (Archive)

Police Superintendent Testifies In Inferno Case

Aug 13, 2009, 5:27 AM | Article By: Yai Dibba

Superintendent Malamin Ceesay, the Officer Commanding Major Crime Unit of the Gambia Police Force, on Wednesday 12th August 2009, testified in the trial of one Landing Jatta, the Alkalo of Bunborr Village.

Landing Jatta is standing trial before Principal Magistrate Mahoney of the Brikama Magistrates' Court for allegedly setting fire on Bunuborr Forest Park in Kanilia.

In his testimony, Mr. Ceesay told the court that on the fateful day he went to investigate the circumstance surrounding the fire at Bunuborr Forest Park.

According to him, the accused Landing Jatta was during the investigation arrested and was found in possession of a single barrel gun with life bullet. He told the court that he interrogated the accused with the help of a Jolla interpreter who is a resident of Kanilai. Ceesay said he was told by the accused that he trekked from Bunborr on a donkey.

Superintendent Ceesay further told the court that, the accused had informed him that on his arrival at Bunuborr Forest Park, he tied his donkey on the roadside and entered into the forest to fetch firewood. He said the accused went further to inform the investigating team that after fetching firewood, he started the fire in the forest, which caused the bushfire.

Mr. Ceesay further stated that the accused himself led the investigating team to the scene where the incident occurred, adding that the accused  had shown them the exact place where he started the fire and where he tied the donkey.

He adduced that the accused also led the investigating team to his village to show them the firewood he collected from the forest. He said the house of the accused was searched by the investigating team but nothing was found there.

He said the Fire and Ambulances Services in Kanilai were also at the scene of the fire and some other military officers, together with residents from the surrounding villages.

Officer Ceesay also told the court that they took photographs of the area, which were later tendered as exhibits.

The case was adjourned until 27th August 2009.