#Article (Archive)

Police officer testifies in theft case

May 11, 2016, 1:16 PM | Article By: Dawda Faye

Alieu S. Jibba, a police officer, on 10 May 2016 testified before Magistrate Abeke of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court in the case involving one Sanju Kumar, who was charged with stealing a motor vehicle.

In his testimony, he told the court that he lives in Bakau and is a sergeant.

He was previously attached at Bakau Police Station, but is now at Interior Academy, and recognized the accused person.

He adduced that in July 2015, he was at Bakau Police Station when one Alagie Gassama of the Sheriff Division arrived at the charge office when he was on duty.

Gasaama came with one Ms Sanju Kumar and reported that the accused sold a motor vehicle, registration number 0319J marked Mitsubishi pickup, the property of the Sheriff Division.

He further adduced that the accused was at one time an accountant at Copti Company.

Upon their arrival at the station, both parties were heard, and statements were obtained from them, with the accused person cautioned and charged. A file was opened for further instructions.

Mr Jibba testified further that the accused asked him to write her statement, which he did.

The statement was read to her, and she endorsed it by thumb-printing.

He also signed as the officer who recorded it.

ASP Singhateh, the prosecution officer, asked him if he would be able to recognize the statement, and confirmed it was the statement.

The prosecutor applied to tender it, and the defence counsel Edward Gomez did not object.

The statement was admitted by the court.

Under cross-examination by the defence counsel, Jibba told the court he has been a police officer for nearly eight years now.

Jibba also said Gassama and the accused came to Bakau Police Station on 3 March 2016.

When it was put to him that he already told the court it was some time in July 2015, Jibba agreed he did say so.

He further agreed that he told the court that Gassama reported that the accused sold one Mitsubishi pickup.

The case was later adjourned until 16 May 2016.