#Article (Archive)

Police inspector testifies in court

Feb 9, 2011, 1:24 PM | Article By: Isatou Senghore

A police Inspector attached to the fraud squad, at the police headquarters in Banjul recently testified at the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court in the trial of Muhammed Camara and Omie Jatta.

The two are being tried on charges of conspiracy to commit a felony, stealing and making or having in possession or implement for forgery. Both have denied the charges.

Testifying, Inspector Foday Makalo told the court that he knew the first prosecution witness, Ebrima Bah, and he also recognised the accused persons.

He said that in August 2010, he received a case file from one CPL 131 Faal of the Serekunda Police Station with the three suspects and the complainant, Ebrima Bah, with a plastic bag containing black papers found in possession of the accused persons.

Inspector Makalo further adduced that he then asked the 2nd accused, Omie Jatta, to explain what happened, who in her explanation said she made a telephone call to PW1 telling him that she had someone who wanted to change $ 8,000.

He said the 2nd accused further explained that PW1 came with the $8,000 to her house where he met with the principal suspect, Omar Kanteh, and she was introduced to him.

The 2nd accused, Omie Jatta, the witness added, also told him that after introducing him to the principal suspect, Omar Kanteh PW1), she left the two in the house and later the 1st accused, Muhammed Camara, came and met PW1 and Omar Kanteh in the house.

He added that the 2nd accused also told him that later PW1 told the 1st accused that he wanted his money back and the 1st accused told him to excise patience as Omar Kanteh was counting the money inside the bedroom.

He said, according to the 2nd accused, Pw1 then forced himself into the bedroom and found Omar Kanteh having a bucket full of water and some chemical, and when PW1 enquired what he was doing, Kanteh told him to wait outside.

Inspector Makalo further stated that the 2nd accused in her explanation also told him that after some time Omar Kanteh went out to have a smoke and since then she had never seen Omar Kanteh again.

Still testifying, the witness said the 2nd accused told him that she reported the matter to the Bakoteh Police Station and Serekunda Police Station that she did not know they, Omar Kanteh and others, were doing “something bad inside her house”.

“I asked her why she did not call the police when this was happening and she told me that she was waiting for Omar Kanteh to come back so that she could report the matter to the police,” the witness explained.

“I asked the 1st accused the same thing and he told me that he did not know about the matter,” he added.

He said that according to Pw1 he received a telephone call from the 2nd accused because he had known her for long time and had been changing money with her, adding that PW1 also told him that when he was handing over the money to Omar Kanteh it was in the presence of the 2nd accused.

Magistrate Tabally adjourned the case till 16 February 2011.