#Article (Archive)

NDEA officers murder trial continues

Oct 21, 2011, 1:39 PM | Article By: Malamin Conteh

The trial for alleged murder involving two former officers of the National Drug Enforcement Agency, NDEA, Wednesday continued at the Special Criminal Court in Banjul.

Eku Grant and Ebou Lowe were charged with murder after they allegedly beat one Cherno Alieu Suwareh alias ‘Che Boy’ leading to his death, after he was suspected of being in possession of cannabis.

Testifying, ASP Sainey Joof, the thirteenth prosecution witness (PW13), told the court that, on 6 May 2011, he was at the Major Crime Unit at police headquarters in Banjul, as the officer commanding.

He said while on duty he conducted an identification parade, so as to establish the true killer of the deceased, Cherno Alieu Suwarreh, adding that the identification parade involved the two accused persons.

He added that witnesses were invited to point out, among the twelve people paraded, the people who actually physically assaulted Cherno Alieu Suwarreh.

PW13 adduced that five people walked into the conference room one after the other, and that photos were also taken at the parade, adding that the two accused persons were identified at the parade as the people who physically assaulted the deceased person.

“I wrote a report to that effect, and the name of the 1st accused person, Ebou Lowe, was mentioned, while the 2nd accused was described but his name was never mentioned,” ASP Joof added.

The next to testify was CPL Lamin Fatty, also a police officer attached to the Major Crime Unit, who told the court that he recognized the accused persons.

Designated as PW14, CPL Fatty told the court that, on  6 May 2011, he was called to join the identification parade which involved the accused and other officers from the NDEA and the police.

He added that he took photos at the parade, and later sent them to the Major Crime Unit.

The photos were shown to him in court, which he identified.

The case continues on 1 November 2011.