#Article (Archive)

Giboro, Gidda 86 trial opens

Feb 19, 2010, 1:25 PM | Article By: Binta Fatty & Abdoulie Nyockeh

The criminal trial of 86 accused persons, from the villages of Giboro-Kuta and Gidda in the Western Region, involved in a land dispute commenced at the Brikama Magistrates' Court with the testimony of one ASP Buba Jassey, Officer Commanding Brikama Division.

Testifying before Principal Magistrate Emmanuel Amadi, ASP Jassey said that on 17 January 2010 he was in his office when he received a telephone call that residents of Giboro-Kuta and Gidda were involved in a land dispute.

According to him, upon receiving the information he immediately informed his officers at Giboro police post to go and warn both parties to move away from the disputed area.

ASP Jassey said he personally went to the scene, where he met certain people who were delegated by the Alkalo of Gidda, while people from the community of Giboro-Kuta were there on their own. He said both parties had indicated that the affected portions were not demarcated by the physical planning authorities.

ASP Jassey further told the court that, during their meeting, he warned both communities not to create any tension, but instead file a suit at the district tribunal. He said he also advised them not to take the law into their own hands, to which both parties agreed.

He informed the court that on 31 January 2010, he again received a telephone call that both communities are at the disputed area quarrelling, while armed with cutlasses, axes and a knife.

Officer Jassey stated that upon arrival there again, he found the people of the two communities on the disputed land, armed with the said weapons.

According to him, he separated and disarmed them before effecting their arrest.

He revealed that 33 cutlasses were confisticated from the people of Gidda, while 30 cutlasses, 3 axes and a knife were confisticated from the people of Giboro-Kuta.

The weapons which included cutlasses, axes and a knife were later tendered in court as exhibits.

The case was adjourned to 23 February 2010.