#Article (Archive)

French Embassy thief convicted

Jan 4, 2010, 1:08 PM | Article By: Dawda Faye

Senior Magisrtate Abdoulie Mbacke of the Kanifing Magistrates' Court recently convicted and sentenced a juvenile for stealing a mobile phone at the French Embassy, to three years in prison at the Old Jeshwang Juvenile Wing.

According to the particulars of offence on count one, the convict on 9th July 2009, at the French Embassy in Cape Point wilfully broke and entered into the French Embassy with intent to commit a felony to wit stealing.

Count two stated that on the same day and place, the convict stole a mobile phone mark Nokia 3100, valued at D2, 000, being the property of one Danielle Robbin.

In delivering his judgment, Magistrate Mbacke stated that after perusing the evidences of the prosecution witnesses and that of the convict, the court was convinced that the convict was guilty of the offence charged.

He went on to say that, the convict had craved court's indulgence to temper justice with mercy, and that he is a student with one more year to complete.

According to Magistrate Mbacke, the court had heard and considered the plea for leniency made by the convict, but he noted that he deserved some punishment as a deterrent. He indicated that the convict had committed a serious crime that calls for harsh punishment.

He went on to say that breaking and stealing from a foreign mission, such as an embassy or consulate is indeed an unpardonable act. He added that any foreign mission established in a country is expected to be protected by the government of the host country.

He further stated that if such incidents occur, they serve as an embarrassment to the whole country and those who commit such acts must be made to bear the brunt of the law. He said that since the convict, according to the police was a first time offender, coupled with his plea for mercy and the fact that he is a juvenile had prompted the court to order that he be detained at the juvenile home for three years to enable him learn a trade. He also ordered that the recovered phone should be immediately returned to the owner.