#Article (Archive)

Former NDEA deputy director continues testimony

Jan 25, 2012, 11:01 AM | Article By: Malamin Conteh

Karamo Bojang, former deputy Director of the National Drug Enforcement Agency, NDEA, yesterday continued his defence testimony at the Special Criminal Court in Banjul.

Karamo Bojang is being tried alongside Ibrahim Bun Sanneh, former NDEA Executive Director, Ousman Sanneh, former agency operations director, Seedou Bojang, former NDEA Accountant, and one Marie Sanneh.

Testifying, Bojang adduced that before the drugs destruction exercise, he sent the exhibit keeper to the Banjul Magistrates’ Court to go and collect all the cocaine that have been dealt with, and bring it to the NDEA.

He added that after having the greenlight from the board of directors of the NDEA, one Alieu Jarsey went and came with the drugs, and they discovered that the drugs were tampered with.

“We then went with the tampered drug to the court clerks, who were Amadou Hydara and Alieu Njie, they admitted that these were the drugs sent to the NDEA. I then called Ousman Sannneh and Commissioner Kalilou Njie, who also confirmed that the drugs were tampered with, before taking the drugs back to the Banjul Magistrates’ Court,” Bojang told the court.

He testified further that in the office of Bun Sanneh, when Alieu Jarsey, the exhibits keeper, opened one of the parcels, they discovered that the parcel contained black cement and not cocaine.

He said Ousman Sanneh was sent to confront the magistrate with the issue, but upon his return Ousman Sanneh said the magistrate told him he would not come to the NDEA.

Still testifying, Karamo Bojang said when the two parcels were also opened by the exhibits keeper, there was nothing but flour, adding that the samples were then taken to the magistrate to shed light on which of the exhibits were tendered.

“The magistrate chose the exhibit that was professionally wrapped. I then told him that the court clerk gave us the samples,” he further stated.

Bojang then told the court that the magistrate said he was going to take drastic action against the clerk.

He said Bun Sanneh also told him that the two boys would be prosecuted, further stating that, before the outcome of the case, they were dismissed, arrested and taken to the NIA.

He added that the two boys met them at the NIA, where a confrontation took place, and the two were later charged and detained, but released on the next day and continued to report on bail.

Hearing continues on 26 January 2012.