Jun 3, 2009, 11:47 AM
Lieutenant Colonel Alhagie Sanneh said the situation is worrying hence the need for intensive and sustained public sensitisation through the media.
Let Colonel Sanneh said there should also be more outreach activities on how to handle and manage fire to minimise or eradicate fire incidents not only in KMC and WCR but throughout The Gambia.
He made these remarks over the weekend during an interview with the state media, GRTS, at the scene of a fire outbreak in the compound of one Alasana Jawara in New Yundum.
Lt Colonel Sanneh advised people to be using the right wires as well as seek the service of professional electricians when wiring their houses.
He also said people should place candle on top of metallic materials but the better solution is to use lamps that take batteries instead of using candles.
Alasana Jawara, the fire victim, said school certificates, clothes, land transfer certificate among other valuable materials were consumed by the fire.
He said cash of D5,000 belonging to his 1st wife was also burnt to ashes.
The West Coast Region Disaster Coordinator Binta Sey-Jadama said they are yet to establish the cause of the fire outbreak in Alasana’s house.
She advised families to be more resilience and cautious of fire, saying indigenous community response should be strengthened in case of fire outbreaks.