Jun 21, 2017, 12:57 PM
Minister of Youth and Sports Alieu K. Jammeh, accompanied by Deputy Permanent Secretary Malang Jassey, attended the 5th World Conference of ministers and senior officers responsible for Physical Education and Sports (MINEPS) in
Previous MINEPS were organised in 1976, 1988, 1999 and 2004.
The 5th MINEPS Conference, opened by Chancellor of Berlin Angela Merkel, concentrated on the following main themes:
A. Access to Sports as fundamental right for all;
B. Promoting investment in sports and physical education programme;
C. Preserving the integrity of sports.
A total of 137 member countries and 55 ministers from UNSECO member countries attended.
The meeting of Berlin had among other issues recommended the following:
1. Ensure that quality and inclusive physical education classes are included, preferentially on daily basis, as a mandatory part of primary and secondary education and that sports physical activity at schools and in all other education institutions play an integral role in the daily routine of the children and youth;
2. Strengthen cooperation between government, sports organizations, schools and all other educational institutions to improve the conditions for physical education and sports at schools, including sports facilities and equipment, as well as qualified teachers and coaches.
3. To consider the funding of physical education and sports programme as a safe investment that will result in positive socio-economic outcomes;
4. Invest in community development and in accessible infrastructures to encourage activity;
5. Promote and support the prevention i.e. already out-doping, match-fixing, etc and good governance measures undertaken by the sports movement.
6. Establish or reinforce transparent, democratic decision-making structures to enhance integrity, accountability, equal treatment and sustainability in sports.
The Declaration of the Conference also contains other issues in relation to the benefit of sports to the socio-economic development and the Gambia Vision 2020 Goal.
During deliberations, The Gambia delegation took the opportunity to highlight the significant advancement of sports in The Gambia under the leadership of His Excellency the President Sheikh Prof. Alhagie Dr Yahya A.J.J. Jammeh concerning all types of sports.
The Ministry of Youth and Sports recognises the important role of the ministries in the implementation of the Berlin 2013 declaration and within our inter-ministerial coordinating framework will work closely with the ministries of Basic and Secondary Education and Higher Education, Research Science and Technology and Health and Social Welfare to implement the recommendations for the benefit of all Gambians.