#Headlines

Experts meet to validate two documents 

Nov 19, 2020, 10:55 AM

Experts in agriculture have converged at the Baobab Resort in Kololi to scrutinise and validate two documents – the Inventory and Procedures manual for national food reserve and the national food security reserve strategy. The workshop which started on 17 October is expected to end on 20th October 2020. 

In his official opening remark, the permanent secretary at the Ministry of Agriculture, Ebrima Sissaho, pointed out that the ECOWAS region has experienced strong growth in agricultural production over the last 20 years particularly compared to the rest of the continent. However, he said despite these gains, food insecurity remains a major challenge.

According to the permanent secretary at the Ministry of Agriculture, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) statistics has indicated more than 34 million people are undernourished in the sub region and the countries hardest hit are also poorest and the most fragile ones. He said in addition, the World Food Programme (WFP) consumption survey report shows that landlocked Sahelian countries are also affected by high levels of undernourishment. “Thus, these two very high chronic food insecurity outbreaks emerge in ECOWAS,” Sissaho informed the gathering. 

Claude Kondor, who read a solidarity statement on behalf of ECOWAS, stated that the validation is a significant step forward in bringing relevant stakeholders to brainstorm and share information and experiences regarding food and nutrition security not only for The Gambia, but the entire ECOWAS region. 

Kondor said some of the things that impress ECOWAS much about the manual, is the inclusion of distribution of the stock reserve, financial and cash management procedure, accounting framework, procurement and performance procedures. He said the Supplementary Acts establishing the regional food security reserve in the ECOWAS region was endorsed by the ECOWAS authority of heads of state and government in February 2013, during the Second Ordinary Session. 

Claude Kondo described food as a basic human right. He pointed out that food and nutritional security are the foundations for a decent life, and the achievement of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals specially goal 2 (Zero Hunger). Kondo stated that the human cost of the food crisis has been enormous.

“Millions of families have been pushed into poverty and hunger, underpinned by the effects of climate change and the unprecedented outbreak of COVID-19,” Kondo said.

According to him, this situation is a wakeup call for all. He said it is important to keep stocks of grain in years of good harvest to guard against shortage in those years when production falls short of consumption needs. Claude Kondo noted, without food and nutrition security in ECOWAS member states, development and economic integration of the entire region would be difficult to achieve 

The validation workshop is being coordinated by Musa N. Humma, the deputy permanent secretary at the Ministry of Agriculture.

By Modou Kanteh, Information Officer MoA 

Read Other Articles In Headlines
Mustapha Bittaye v2
Gambia gets 6 new cases of covid-19, Senegal to treat covid-19 patients at home
Jul 3, 2020, 11:06 AM

The Gambia has confirmed six new cases of covid-19 on Thursday, making the country’s total number of infections to 55.
Out of the total confirmed cases, The Gambia recorded two deaths so far.

Cellou Dalein Diallo
Cellou Dalein Diallo wins landslide in Gambia
Oct 20, 2020, 10:51 AM

The party leader of the Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UDFG), Cellou Dalein Diallo, has won a landslide victory among Guinean voters in The Gambia as they cast their votes in the 18 October presidential elections.

EU reinforces Technical Assistance to support Gambia in facing consequences of covid-19 pandemic
May 6, 2020, 12:10 PM

Press release

The European Union (EU) is reinforcing its Technical Assistance to The Gambia, with an additional financial support of 550,000 Euro (around 30 million Dalasis).

Bensouda
‘KMC spends over D6.5m Bakoteh dumpsite’
Feb 3, 2021, 12:00 PM

Following complaints by the community of Bakoteh and its environs over a recent fire outbreak that occurred at the Bakoteh dumpsite, the mayor of Kanifing Municipal Council (KMC), Talib Ahmed Bensouda has revealed that the council had spent over 6.5 million dalasis to manage and maintain the dumpsite, adding that the Bakoteh dumpsite is not only KMC’s issue but the nation’s as well.