#Article (Archive)

Supposed Fortune-Teller Faces The Law

Dec 4, 2009, 12:16 PM | Article By: Yusuf Ceesay

One Modou Jallow was on 1st December 2009, arraigned before Magistrate Babou Jobe at the Kanifing Magistrates' Court, charged with attempting to commit felony, a charge he denied.

Subsequently, Prosecutor 319 Jobe called his first witness to testify against the accused.

In his testimony, the witness, Dawda Sambou, told the court that he recognised the accused, Modou Jallow.

According to him, the incident happened on 7th September, 2009, while he was going to visit his aunt, Jarra Sambou, at Lamin. He said on his way he met the accused Modou Jallow, who asked him to help him with fare, which he did.

He narrated that the accused thanked him, saying that he the (witness) had done a good thing. He further testified that the accused told him that he is a Quranic student and wanted to please him for what he had done for him.

He stated that the accused then told him to go with him to his house, but he insisted that he could not do it unless they go to his aunt's place.

He further added that the accused then told him that he is a fortune-teller and he should give him a token to enable him perform some miracles for him.

According to him, he had given D25 to the accused and his date of birth.

Still testifying he said the accused then told him to give out some sacrifice and demanded D700 from him to buy eight kilos of meat for the process.

He further stated that the accused told him that he should drink some of the charm and rub the remnant on himself, which he did.

The witness further testified that as soon as he did that he could not control himself and went back to the accused, who again demanded D1, 977 for some sacrificial rites. He testified that he went to the bank and withdrew the said amount and gave it to the accused.

He adduced that the accused told him if he continued washing and drinking the charm he would be conscious.

He narrated that after several visits to the accused, he paid D1, 800 for his 'unconsciousness.' He said the accused again demanded D25, 000 to cure him but he failed to do so because the charm could not work.

He narrated that the accused further demanded another D12, 000, and because of this he reported the matter to the CID. Subsequently, he said the accused was arrested.

The case was adjourned to 16th December 2009.