#Article (Archive)

Police officer testifies in alleged theft case

Jul 1, 2015, 10:38 AM | Article By: Isatou Senghore-Njie

The seventh prosecution witness (PW7), Isatou Jobe, recently testified in the trial involving one Lessly Boyle, accused of stealing from a dwelling house, before Magistrate Colley of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court.

Jobe told the court that she is a police officer attached to Kololi Police Station, with the rank of Sergeant 2277.

She recoginsed the accused person, and recalled that some time in January 2015, she was on duty when she received a case file of stealing from a dwelling house, together with the complainant, Zina.

She said after receiving the case file, all entries were made in the station diary and she sent a telephone message to the accused, inviting her to the station to answer to a complaint lodged against her.

According to her, after 2 to 3 hours, the accused never came and she went to invite her personally, adding that at the station, both the accused and the complainant were verbally confronted at the CID office together with the witnesses concerned, and the accused denied the allegation against her.

Officer Jobe further stated that investigation continued and during the investigation, it was confirmed by other witnesses that the accused insisted on using the master bedroom toilet of the complainant, refusing to use the other toilet outside.

Jobe adduced that it was evidence that the accused person left without informing anyone in the party, which was held at the complainant’s residence and it was also evidence that the accused mentioned to one Sally Sillah, at a restaurant in Senegambia, that the complainant must have been very stupid for leaving her safe open.

After the investigation, she said, the accused narrated her cautionary statement in the presence of an independent witness, one Ousman Wadda, which the accused thumb-printed and she signed.

The accused was later charged with the offence committed.

She said she wrote a report on what she gathered during the investigation and waited for further directives.

The case was adjourned to 14 July 2015.