#Article (Archive)

PIA chief executive officer testifies in court

May 28, 2012, 2:15 PM | Article By: Dawda Faye

Abdoulie Bah chief executive officer of the President’s International Award (PIA) on 24 May 2012 testified before Magistrate Ngube of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court against 23 students and teachers of the institution for demonstrating against his reinstatement.

The witness testified that he lives at Abuko, was the CEO of the PIA, and knew most of the accused persons at the PIA.

On 10 May 2012, he told the court, he was given a reinstatement letter from the permanent secretary at the Ministry of Youths and Sport, asking him to report for work with immediate effect, but he told him that he would start work on the following day.

He added that following an exchange of phone calls with the PS, he (Bah) told the PS that he would not wait, and reported for work.

He said as he entered the premises of his workplace, he realized there were students sitting outside, while some members of staff were sitting inside the hall.

He said he went into the main office, but the secretary was not available, adding that he knocked at the door of the accountant and asked whether one Fadera was there.

He said Fadera later arrived, and asked him to get in with the secretary.

He added that he started the handing over, and was given some documents.

He said he went out, and saw students shouting, and some tried to stop them.

He said he asked the staff, but was told they did not know what was happening.

He further testified that the students chanted that they did not want Mr Bah but Mr. Fadera, adding that he heard some students asking for Mr Bah, and he then told Fadera to stop what they were doing, and went into the office.

He said the students continued shouting that they did not want Mr Bah.

Thirty minutes later, security officers came into his office and told him that they came to protect him from the students, but he told them that he had to consult the deputy permanent secretary at the Ministry of Youth.

He said one Commissioner Mbye then came into his office, and took him to Kairaba Police Station to protect him.

He concluded that he wrote his statement at the Kairaba Police Station.

The case was adjourned for continuation on 31 May.