#Article (Archive)

GRTS Director General Appears in Court

Dec 17, 2008, 4:29 AM | Article By: Modou Sanyang

Alh. Momodou Sanyang, Director General of the Gambia Radio and Television Services (GRTS) on Monday testified before Principal Magistrate Edrissa Mbai of the Banjul Magistrates' Court in the trial of one James Gomez.

Mr Gomez is standing trial on a charge of giving false information to a public officer.

In his testimony, D G Sanyang told the court that he recognised the accused person and that he could recall the 17thNovember 2008. He said he received a call and he asked who the caller was and the accused identified himself as the one who works on the president's sound system. He said he asked the accused what he can do for him and the accused in reply told him that he was talking to the president and that he had a letter to be handed over to the president hand to hand. He added that he enquired from the accused what the letter was about and the accused said it was confidential and then advised the accused to send the letter through the protocol, but the accused told him that the president said he should hand over the letter to him so that he (the witness) can hand it over to him.

GRTS DG further told the court that he asked the accused how he can get the president without going through the protocol, and the accused said 'just tell him that I have a message for the president'. He adduced that on the 16thNovember 2008 the accused went to his home and handed over the letter to him and he again asked the accused what was the letter about and the accused still maintained that it was confidential. He said on 17thNovember 2008 before calling the protocol to seek an appointment he called the accused and suggested to him for the letter to be delivered through the protocol and at that time he was with Kebba Dibba. He revealed that he informed Kebba Dibba about it and Kebba Dibba told him if there was a directive go by the directive because there was nobody to call for clarification. He said he announced to the protocol and entered the office of the president whom he told of his mission. He added that the president asked who James Gomez was and he told the president the one who works on your sound system and the president told him he had not spoken to the accused for a year.He said he was later instructed by the president to open and read the letter and while reading the president told him that the accused had confirmed in the letter that he had not spoken to him for a year. He said that was the time he knew that the president did not know anything about the accused's letter. He stated that the matter was reported to the police and he was called to make a statement.

The case was adjourned to 22ndDecember 2008.