#Article (Archive)

GNOC case suffers setback

Feb 3, 2011, 11:53 AM | Article By: Dawda Faye

The case involving Beatrice Allen, acting president of the Gambia National Olympic Committee (GNOC) and a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Ousman Abdou Wadda and Muhammed Janneh, GNOC treasurer and accountant respectively could not proceed on 2nd February 2011, at the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court.

The accused persons earlier had denied that they stole an amount of D34,000 being the property of the GNOC which they allegedly falsely claimed to have been allowances due to former GNOC Lang Tombong Tamba.

Superintendent Joof, the prosecuting officer, applied for an adjournment when the case was called.

He informed the court that investigations are still ongoing, adding that the Attorney General’s Chambers has supervisory powers and the case file was sent to them.

He stated that he was applying for an adjournment, pending directives.

Lawyer Lamin Camara rose to say that he was representing the accused person, and was being led by lawyer Ida Drammeh, who was not present in court.

Lawyer Batchilly also rose to inform the court that he was holding brief for the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Camara then told the court that he was opposing the application made by the prosecutor for further adjournment.

He insisted that the prosecution proceeds with the matter, adding that if the case was a civil matter, he would have applied for the case to be adjourned sine die.

He argued that if the prosecution was not ready to proceed, let the accused persons be discharged.

“It is trite law that you cannot file a case against people and go and sleep in the name of prosecuting,” the defence counsel told a crowded courtroom.

He added that the prosecution should proceed on the adjournment date with all its witnesses, failing which the accused persons be unconditionally discharged.

Superintendent Joof rose to say that he could not guarantee that the case would proceed on the adjournment date, because it is being handled by the Attorney General’s Chambers.

Magistrate Tabally called the attention of the prosecutor to the fact that the case is a criminal one, and should be expedited.

He subsequently adjourned the case till 17 February 2011.